Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween, and Getting Over the Flu


What did Wynn want to be this year? "A GECKO!!" So Ann made her a tail to go with her green pants and shirt. She found a green hoodie at Old Navy and was planning to sew big eyes on the hood.

"No, Mom. I don't need extra eyes. I use my own eyes."

Wynn was so excited to go trick-or-treating this year.
It took soooo long to finally get dark.

Carrying her rubber gecko around to make sure everyone
knew what the costume was supposed to be.

She and Ann were out about 20 minutes and came home with her pail full of goodies. Happy, and ready to call it a night.

I manned the home front and gave out generous portions of Skittles to the neighborhood kids while trying not to cough on them.

The flu bug held strong in my body through Thursday morning, when I woke up with a 101.7 temperature. I doubled down on Advil and Tylenol and took a long, cool shower, kept the car windows cracked open taking Wynn to daycare, and drank lots of hot coffee. (That old Chinese saying about fighting fever with heat started making sense...) By 10:00 my temp was back down to normal, although it started creeping back up into the 99s by evening.

Friday I woke up for the first time without any fever, though plenty tired and with a very upset digestive tract and very sore throat. Felt much better on Saturday although had to stop and sit or lie down every couple hours; less coughing than previous days. Actually managed to do some yard work Sunday (albeit more hands-and-knees work than full-blown leaf raking.)

Went to work today, and even though I mostly just went through the 400 emails waiting from last week, ran a few reports, and had catch-up conversations with my boss and coworkers, I came home utterly exhausted. But glad to be back in the land of the living.

No comments: