Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Back to Work



It's been a very busy couple of weeks, which explains why we've been remiss in updating the blog. I'm back at work now, so Wynn's spending her days with Grandma; we're so pleased that my mom and Wynn are getting to spend this time together. :-)

We're also happy that Wynn is adjusting so well to having me gone during the day. She waves bye-bye when I leave in the morning and gives me a big hug when I get home. It has been a little tougher on me. We had Open House at school one day last week, so I had to be gone from 7 AM until 8 PM. I didn't fully realize how much I'd missed Wynn until I got home that night as she was getting ready for bed. I went in and held her and thought, "I haven't hugged you all day", and it really made me feel ... I don't know - Sad? Guilty? I don't know if I can put a name to the exact emotion; I just know it was a strong one.

Tomorrow Wynn goes in for surgery, and we're feeling some pretty strong emotions about that too. I'm the one who frets when the dog's at the vet getting his teeth cleaned, so the notion of having her in an operating room is, needless to say, daunting. We have enough history of medical procedures between us to know that she's going to feel discomfort, confusion, frustration, and boredom. Now we just have to figure out how to comfort her through all those things. We are fortunate in that she seems to understand SO MUCH of what we tell her; here's hoping that she can decipher enough of what's going to happen in the next few days for her to understand that this is all being done for her benefit and with love.

We'll update the blog in the next few days to let you now how she's doing. Thanks to all our friends and family for their kind words of support this week. It means a lot to know so many people are out their rooting for Wynn's speedy recovery.

Meanwhile, here are some recent pictures to show what we've been up to. The monkey backpack is fantastic! Its tail is a leash that we hold, so she gets the freedom of walking a bit while we feel safe knowing she's never more than four feet away.

I love the picture on the dock because it's such a "Minnesota kid" picture - late summer lighting, a boat, a lake, a smile.

Her expression and body language in the stroller picture just make us laugh; it looks like she's going to run for office on a "Are you sick of those clowns in Washington?" platform.

-Ann

No comments: